Whenever you build or buy a home, often you want to make it your own. One of the many ways that homeowners stack ownership in their property is through their landscaping. Taking pride in what your yard looks like is very important. Landscaping is often the first thing people see when walking or driving by. Creating a green landscape can add aesthetic value to your home as well as some other features. What are the environmental benefits of green landscaping? Native plants and rainwater harvesting to name a couple.
Let’s take a look below at some of the main features and functions of an environmentally friendly green landscape.
What Is Green Landscaping
The term green landscaping simply means that the landscaping has been designed and constructed to be sustainable. The sustainability of the landscaping means that it does not negatively impact your local environment. The more native plants and materials that you use for the landscape create this sustainability.
When the landscaping is native to the environment it promotes ecological health and minimizes the impacts any other style of landscaping would cause. In some cases, you will have rain barrels, rain gardens, or even permeable paving completed within the landscaping project. These added features will reduce your groundwater runoff and minimize the impact on your local environment.
What Are The Benefits
Believe it or not, there are many benefits to creating green landscaping around your home. Let’s take a look below at what those might be.
- Wildlife habitat – utilizing native plants in your green landscaping provides natural habitats for all organisms in your local ecosystem.
- Pollution reduction – pollution in your air, water, and soil will be reduced, as your green landscape creates a natural filtration system.
- Stormwater – using native plants in your green landscape design will help prevent erosion and reduce water runoff.
- Lower energy expenses – green landscaping provides your home with natural shade, which will reduce the use of your ac unit in the summer. Also, the native plants and trees will create wind barriers to protect your home.
- Health improvements – green landscapes will ease your mind and create relaxing and de-stress zones for your mental and physical health. Being in nature is a huge part of reducing a homeowner’s stress levels.
- Conservation – due to the use of native plants and trees and the design of your green landscaping, you could conserve water and reduce energy usage.
How Do I Start My Green Landscaping
Making your home more sustainable for your local ecosystem should be prioritized by every homeowner. Let’s take a look below at how you can contribute to this concept.
- Inspect – hire your local home inspection team and horticultural landscaper and together come up with a design that best fits your needs and location.
- Native plants – select native plants that will thrive in your soil. Get your soil tested for acidity levels. This ensures that you are planting the correct plants.
- Mulch – be sure to use some mulch in your landscaping. Mulch is great at reducing weeds and keeps your soil moist. Also, mulch can assist with erosion prevention.
- Harvest the rainwater – consider installing rain barrels to collect the rain from your roof. This rainwater can then be used for washing your car, watering your plants, or even filling a pool.
- Eco-friendly – use recycled materials that fit nicely with the aesthetics of your green landscaping. This includes composite edging or synthetic decking that is created from recycled plastic. Additionally, remove all pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers that are not eco-friendly.
How Do I Cultivate My Green Landscape
There are a couple of things that you can do to maintain and cultivate your green landscape. Let’s look below at what you can do.
- Reduce chemicals – by using mulch, planting native plants, and using organic compost, you can increase the soil quality and reduce the need for fertilizers or pesticides.
- Runoff reduction – using gravel or mulch in your green landscape will reduce water runoff. When rains occur, the water will flow over the terrain and absorb any chemical residue left from your fertilizer or pesticide. If you can stop this flow of water, the chemicals are less likely to get into your ground. Also, planting trees and shrubs can help absorb any rainwater.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you have a better understanding of the environmental benefits of green landscaping, you can begin determining if you will use rock or mulch to support your plants. Make sure to read up on how much landscape rock you would need so that you can calculate the cost of your landscape project.
Next, while you are having your yard design created, go ahead and have your sewer lines checked for root invasion. In some cases, tree and plant roots can make their way into any damaged sewer line and clog it up. This sewer scope is a great way to conduct preventative maintenance while completing another project.
Lastly, read up on when you should fertilize your lawn. Also, make a note of what is the most environmentally friendly way to fertilize your green landscaping. You will want to avoid using fertilizers and pesticides that could get into your water source.
When Do I Call A Professional
When it comes to selecting the right green landscaping for your yard, you might want to consult a professional. Hiring a local horticultural landscaper will allow you to determine what types of native plants to use in your yard. Also, they can help you design the perfect layout that fits your landscape. If you aren’t sure who to call, reach out to your local home inspection team. They can inspect your landscape and recommend a reputable professional horticultural landscaper.
Determining which landscaping works for your yard is going to be one of the more challenging aspects of owning a home. When it comes to native plants, there are so many choices. To get it right, make sure to reach out to your local home inspection team. They inspect your landscaping and provide you with a reputable landscaper to create the best design for your landscaping needs. Reach out to Honor Services to assist you with your landscaping needs while conducting a thorough home inspection in Melbourne, FL, and surrounding areas.